Sunday, May 07, 2006

The need to see stars....properly


I don't quite know WHY, but it has always been very important to me to watch the stars at night, to say hello to Mother Moon and to generally bathe in moonlight. I don't mind if it is cloudy, I know they're there, but after a while I sincerely miss the little twinklies.

The move is DONE now, and we're IN! I remarked to my lovely Roberto last night that it seems we can view the stars much better from this place, which is odd because we are in an estate now, and the houses are supposed to be 'closer'.

But they're not. See at the other house, we were in 'suburbia', but modern suburbia, which is why we have such a depression epidemic now. The whole experience of living there was shyte. The neighbour was so close on either side,.. and this is the sort of thing that people save up to buy?! crazy. I'd rather live in an apartment anyday, or an estate like this one. It feels like a village and our backyard backs onto another backyard, so we feel a fair way from our neighbours.

What I am trying to get at is...it's all good.

I said hello to Orion and the other last night. Mother Moon is half full so she really IS Mother at the moment. The sky is clear, and on a good day I can see the top of Mt Lindsay from my balcony. I love it here.

The picture above is of the Orion Nebula from the NASA website.

4 comments:

Sister Buckle said...

I love a bit of Orion. I can always find it.

I remember stopping on the north coast highway years ago with Chris & Sue on the way home from a music gig late at night - we pulled over because we could actually see the pink dustclouds of the Milky Way behind the stars. It was very dark and in the middle of plantation forests so the colour in the sky was just gob-smacking. It was the first and only time I'd ever seen that much detail. Almost makes me want to go camping... almost!

ChiNut said...

Almost indeed. :)

I think I could come to camping if it was in that kind of 'big game hunter' style with a shower tent, a lounge tent, a kitchen out the way and a pair of deck chairs waiting with martini by the lake kind of thing....that could be good.

Sister Buckle said...

Or a tent like the ones at the start of Harry Potter 4 where you walk in a little tent and the interior is spacious luxury.

ChiNut said...

"Harry Potter!? HARRY POTTER!!!?"

:)) AHAHAHAHAHHA!